Sunday, March 22, 2015

North/South Center Tournament

July 26, 2014; Today is the Renegade Bassers Tournament on North/South Center in Chisago County.  This is a lake I’ve never done real well on but my hopes were high since I had a good prefishing day a week before.  I was fishing alone again so at least if I had a bad day I wasn’t causing someone else to have a bad day also.  The weather was almost identical to Clearwater 2 weeks earlier so I was looking forward to a really good day.

We launched from North Center but my best spots were on South Center so I had to join the parade that would go through the culvert beneath Hwy 8 and then run to my spot.  Again I was feeling good when most guys turned right and I turned left.  Only one boater was heading toward my area of the lake but he pulled up short to fish a point a good ½ mile from where I wanted to fish.

I pulled up and started to throw a buzz bait and had a couple of blow ups but I was sure they were pike since I could see the movement of water just before the strike and they were just hitting it trying to knock their pray senseless so they could come back and eat it.  Once they hit they wouldn’t come back.  I was fishing in an area that had a community docks with pontoons and boats all tied up touching the water and I had similar luck prefishing a week before like I had on Clearwater 2 weeks ago.  I started skipping the pontoons where I caught a 3 pounder a week before hoping it was still there and would bite again.

Well the fish had other ideas since I didn’t catch a fish under any of them.  So I started throwing a frog in some pads nearby and it paid off has a 2.5 lb largemouth decided it wanted my frog and I was on the board.  I continued casting the frog but nothing else decided to bite.

After about 1-1/2 hours I decided to go fish my second pattern that I discovered a week before of fishing docks that did not have any boats or boat lifts on them.  Normally I would fishing these types of docks since there isn’t enough structure or shade on them with no boats or boat lifts but I caught a couple of nice fish a week before under a couple of these docks so I decided to go try it again.  This turned out to be a good move since I started catch bass and good bass under these types of docks.  Furthermore I found I wouldn’t catch them under the end of the dock I would catch them about midway out from shoreline to end of the dock.  I continued to fish the lone docks and caught at least one fish and sometimes two under each one of these docks.  Although I continued to skip docks with boats and boat lifts I only caught one fish all day under this type of dock.

With about 1-1/2 hour to go I was fishing a long shoreline catching and culling my fish in hopes of getting them all over 3 lbs when I ran into Ryan Ploof another boater in the club and started talking to him and he was struggling and only had 3 fish.  Ryan was throwing a Jig between the docks in week patches and we were converging on a loan dock and I was hoping to get by him before he through his jig anywhere near this dock.  Well just then he pitched about 5 feet from the dock and an 3-1/2 lb bass blasted his jig and my heart sank since that would have culled out a 1-1/2 lb fish in my box and would have upgraded me by 2 lbs.  O’well good for Ryan, he needed the fish to get closer to his limit.

With about ½ hour before weigh in and only 15 mins left to fish I ran to a row of about 6 docks I had not touched during prefishing or all day and figured I end on these docks.  This turned out to be a good move since on my first cast I set the hook on a 2-1/2 lb largemouth so I was able to get rid of that 1-1/2 and upgraded by 1 lb.  I continued down this stretch and was running out of time and decided I could only hit one more dock so I skipped once and didn’t get a bite but decided to make one more skip and BINGO, I caught a 3 lb largemouth that would upgrade about another 1 lb in my box.

Time for weigh in and I was feeling good.  I ended up with 13.00 lbs even however Daryl Larson ended up with 16.05 lbs and took first so I took second place again, which I will take since the points for second are great.

Looking back at the fish that Ryan caught in front of me wouldn’t have help me since Daryl beat me by 3 lbs and it ended up being the last fish Ryan caught.

Second place I’ll take it since it was keeping me high in the standings for the year.

Catch ya next time and remember “Just Fish”

No comments:

Post a Comment